Finca La Hermosa

Aldea los Planes, Acatenango, Chimaltenango

The Valley of Acatenango produces coffee with an exquisite aroma, balanced body and a clean and sweet taste. Frequent eruptions of the nearby Volcan de Fuego (Fire Volcano) keep the sandy soils full of minerals that heighten the acidity of the beans, a difference that you can taste in the coffee from this region.




The beginning of “Finca La Hermosa” goes back to the year 1930 when it was a part of “Finca La Colina”, the pioneer of coffee farms in the Municipality of Acatenango, Chimaltenango. The owner of Finca La Colina was Mateo Mejia Mazariegos who won several national and international prizes for the excellence of his coffee. This was the first farm that had a wet and a dry mill which was called La Providencia.

Finca La Colina was made up of five annexes: La Colina, San Miguel, El Pensativo, El Carmen and San Mateo, located in the villages of San Antonio, Nejapa and Los Planes, all in the municipality of Acatenango.

Mr. Mateo Mejia Mazariegos died in the Year 1950 and his son Jose Maria Mejia Monzon inherited the San Mateo annex. In the year 1957 Jose Maria´s son Carlos Mejia inherits the property as Finca San Mateo and Carlos manages it successfully until his death in 2002. His four children Carlos Humberto Mejia, Thelma Mejia, Virginia Mejia and Manuel Mejia, inherit.

In the year 2010 Max Fernando Perez Rios buys the property from the inheritors of Finca San Mateo and unifies it under the new name of “Finca La Hermosa”.


The Finca

The altitude of the 180 hectares of Finca La Hermosa ranges between 1950 and 2300 meters above sea level (6500-7500 ft). The coffee plantation is planted under shade mainly of Gravilea Trees, and the varieties grown are Typica, Catuai, Caturra, Pache, Bourbon, Maragogype, Pacamara and Geisha. The production processes are Washed, Honey (Black, Red, White) and Natural. The coffee has been recognized in the Cup of Excellence auction and in the year 2013 it obtained 12th place in COE. The farm’s water for processing comes from three water springs in the farm and a river known as Rio del Carmen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *